Thursday, October 15, 2009

Just keep searching; just keep searching; just keep searching, searching, searching

I get really excited about the scavenger hunts because it requires me to put away all of my biases, such as Second Life is odd, and pick apart all of what Second Life has to offer.

I would like to give you a continuation of my scavenger hunt from a few weeks ago.

One of my favorite places on campus is the iconic bridge and gazebo which connect the both sides of my university. This bridge is very historic. When the school was separated by gender, this bridge would connect the schools, and give the students a place to meet before they went on dates. The school used to lock a gate on both sides so the students would not be able to secretly cross to either side in the middle of the night.

Richmond Gazebo
During my perspective student tour, I was told a myth which said that if you kiss someone on this gazebo, you are destined to marry them. Some people have found this myth to actually come true!

Even though I see this place everyday, it still amazes me that I can log on to a virtual world and see this through my computer screen.


1 comment:

  1. Occam's Razor does not sound romantic, and it is not a romantic idea. It's good for debunking myths, however.

    Consider the simple explanation behind the myth: the beauty of the gazebo on our campus makes couples feel special. Given its location, I am sure that many couples shared their first kiss, or at least a memorable one, there.

    Odds are, many of them later married. Thus a myth gets born :)

    If, on the other hand, the Gazebo had some magical power, couples would be lining up to kiss there, and the university could even charge for the service. We would all get rich!

    I do love Occam's Razor.

    ReplyDelete