Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Questions, anyone??

When I was told I was going to be using this world called Second Life, I was a little bit skeptical. When I entered the world, as I have said before, I was amazed at all of the intricate structures that had been created virtually here on Second Life. Who are the "masterminds" that are creating these islands?

People spend hours upon hours working on the replicas of famous building and building their islands. Do these people have real jobs? There are only twenty four hours in a day. How can anyone have a job, work meticulously in Second Life and still have time for family, friends, and most importantly SLEEP!? I only do about a quarter of what I am describing and I still have trouble finding time for family, friends, and sleep.

Knowing all of this led me to the claim, people who create these islands, for the most part, must not have jobs, work in Second Life, or work for companies that allow them to play with Second Life.

3 comments:

  1. Caroline,
    You are doing well with your action verbs, you use "was" a little bit too much in the first paragraph though. Your focus is good, try and make a better transition at the end of the first paragraph that will flow better into the second. It was easy to find your claim that people who build on Second Life don't have jobs, maybe you could present this in a less critical way? I find myself questioning how true this claim even is. Dr. Essid works on The House of Usher, and he has a job! He isn't working for a company that allows him to "play" with Second Life either. Maybe consider changing or altering your claim so you will have more to write. I do like how you start by explaining the structure in Second Life that people build. Maybe you could provide an example of one you particularly liked and give details about it in order to allow the reader to get a better picture in their head. Lastly, make sure you read your post aloud. When I read the first sentence with "this world called Second Life" it sounded a bit awkward, but that's just my personal preference.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, friends of mine spend hours and hours building model airplanes, perfecting their golf scores, and working to restore old cars.

    They all have jobs. In fact, a good hobby demands one. Some of us in education get to build in SL as part of our work. Many others, like the owner of the World's Fair I toured in the virtual world Reaction Grid (see my blog) do so several hours a week and make it a project that takes years to bring to fruition.

    That's rather like my work on my farm. It will take years and years to finish it before I retire. But that is part of the fun.

    You may be rushing to judgment here. In fact, you may want to interview some top-notch content creators like Viv Trafalgar, a good buddy of mine in SL and reality. She's a talented builder. I can put you in touch with Viv and a few other builders who do so as free-lance content creators, or just for fun, if you wish.

    It would make a great final project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Caroline's notes: in the summer I was building Usher at least 10 hours weekly. Nowadays I'm lucky to get in 2 hours per week. Iggy is in SL about another 2 hours each week.

    No time to play! And I am encouraged by UR to do the Usher project, as long as it leads to course content and academic articles.

    ReplyDelete