Sunday, September 13, 2009

Avatar naming..not just all fun and games

As we were all told to pick our avatar names, I looked at my teacher Iggy and shrugged my shoulders. He asked me, "Does anyone in your family have a interesting name? " I said "yes," and then chose my last name. Jennings Soulstar was born. As a first name, it sounded cosmopolitan and over the top, just like me.

Many of you may ask, "Why would someone want to be on Second Life and have their own avatar?" A week ago, I couldn't have answered that question. When my teacher first told us about Second Life, I thought he was a little kooky or was a man who had never grown up. Are college courses really made up of video games? I never liked video games as a child, so I would not start liking them in college, especially if a grade for a class is hinging on there development. When I logged on to Second Life for the first time, my opinion completely changed. The choices for the avatar are limitless. For instance, any avatar can visit the Sistine Chapel, something I have only dreamed about. Not only can your just visit the Sistine Chapel, but also fly and buy clothes for free! I can't wait for her next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. The issue of "games" comes up a lot about SL. Most gamers I've met find it rather boring, because there are no contests or end-points. Sims players tend to like it better, since SL might be compared to a social network atop a social game like the Sims.

    Sentence-level red flag:

    "there own avatar?" Don't ruin a wonderful question with one of my PET PEEVES :)

    Be careful of "there" "their" and "they're." In formal writing, even a single one will lose you a full +/- grade. They make a writer look careless, even less literate. Even on a blog I'd repair that broken bit of track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your title for this blog post (as well as all the others). They are very creative and catch my eye and make me want to read more!
    I also like how you explained how you chose your avatar name in a conversational way. I just want to know what your avatar's name is in the post! That would make the first paragraph have much more meaning.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete