Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A whole new world! A new fantastic point of view!

In my last blog post, I reported on my complete amazement of this new world called "Second Life."

After getting acquainted with this new world, my teacher told us that we were going to do a scavenger hunt. Sadly, when I think of scavenger hunts, I think of little fifth grade girls screaming, running randomly about, claiming to look for all the different clues. Perhaps that is because I was once one of those fifth grade girls. However, I instantly realized that this college-level scavenger hunt would be quite different. I could feel myself being thrown into this tantalizing new world called Second Life, to which I had just been introduced a mere two weeks earlier.

My excitement about Second Life came as a revelation, meaning it was not my original state of mind.
Let me take you back to what I first felt....
It was about 12:30 AM and I decided that the landmarks were ready to be divided up between my editing group. Each group member had about 5 landmarks to visit and take interesting snapshots. Since my Mom was in town, I had a somewhat feeble excuse to put off doing this scavenger hunt until the very last moment. I was completely surprised when I teleported to these islands and noticed how intricate all the details were on every building. I was being selfish in my original pre-notions about these islands in Second Life. I never realized how cool the other islands were because I had never ventured off Richmond Island.

International Space museum

One of my favorite places I had visited was the International Space Museum. When I first walked in, I thought, "This is a normal museum. It has some cool exhibit. WAIT! I have to take a photo here. I have to make it interesting. Let's fly! Maybe, I can get on top of this beach ball." What museum can you fly and jump on top of one of the exhibits?? ( If someone finds a museum where you can do that, please tell me!) In Second Life, you can! There are no security officers to keep you from doing these things.

Another place I visited was Mexico. I have never been to Mexico; so, I was very excited to see what virtual Mexico looked like. I loved it! What first attracted me was all of the vibrant colors; but as I walked around I started to see all of the history that was woven throughout this country. My picture shows both sides of the Mexico, the history and the bright lights.

Apollo Theater

I love New York. My best friend lives there, so of course I get excited when I get to go visit her. When we are about 10 minutes from landing at LaGuardia and we fly over Manhattan and I see those lights, people must think that I am five and not 18 years old. We always stay in and do everything in Manhattan. We might venture to Long Island or to Summit, New Jersey (which is about 20 minutes from the city), but a place that is never at the top of our list is Harlem. I got to visit Harlem in Second Life! It was so cool! I walked around for a little bit at night, which is something I would probably never attempt in real life for fear of criminals lurking in the alleys just waiting to attack the tourist from Tampa. I was attracted immediately to the Apollo Theater because of its architectural beauty and the culture that comes from within its walls.

If you want to see all of the pictures, visit my page on Koinup!

If we follow what Aladin says, we find a whole new world and new fantastic point of view!

3 comments:

  1. Nice use of the pictures and the reference to see more at Koinup.

    Second, I'm "ROFL" at "comfort zone"! I love it when you folks employ that awful, dog-earred term before I have to grade you...I'm saving you a +/- on the Peeve Index.

    It's actually fine here in an informal blog...just don't use it in a formal paper. It's a miserable and battered suitcase of a term that needs unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,
    Great "hook" in your first paragraph. I love the imagery of the screaming girls doing the scavenger hunt!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great hook. I have visions of griefers running FROM you in terror, saying "AHHHHH...the first-year students have found SL!"

    ReplyDelete